No child should live in fear: The heartbreaking case of Cwecwe and a nation’s cry for justice

In a powerful display of solidarity, South Africans marched to the Western Cape Education Department today to support 7-year-old Cwecwe and called for swift intervention from law enforcement. It is a reminder of our collective responsibility to protect the vulnerable. Image:  Armand Hough/Independent Newspapers

In a powerful display of solidarity, South Africans marched to the Western Cape Education Department today to support 7-year-old Cwecwe and called for swift intervention from law enforcement. It is a reminder of our collective responsibility to protect the vulnerable. Image: Armand Hough/Independent Newspapers

Image by: Armand Hough / Independent Newspapers

Published 20h ago

Share

FROM the quiet town of Matatiele, Eastern Cape, a seven-year-old girl known only as Cwecwe has become the face of a national tragedy — a stark reminder that no child should live in fear.

Her story, one of unimaginable pain and systemic failure, has ignited outrage across South Africa, with calls for justice reverberating from classrooms to the halls of Parliament.

On October 14, 2024, the principal of Bergview College learnt of a despicable crime committed against the seven-year-old girl within the school’s premises — a place meant to nurture dreams, not shatter them.

Yet, instead of acting swiftly to protect this vulnerable child, the principal delayed reporting the incident to authorities. It wasn’t until November 19 — 36 agonising days later — that the matter was brought to the attention of the circuit manager. By then, the damage had already been done.

“We are devastated and angered beyond words,” wrote Grade IX students from St Theresa’s School in Rosebank, who penned a letter demanding justice. “How can we live in a society where children are not safe? Where a young girl, full of dreams and innocence, is subjected to such cruelty?” Their voices echo the sentiment of millions: enough is enough!

The Portfolio Committee on Basic Education convened on Friday, April 4, 2025, to address the failures surrounding Cwecwe’s case. Acting chairperson Sedukanelo Tshepo Louw minced no words when he said: “This tragic incident has not only shaken the community but has also raised critical questions regarding the safety and welfare of our children in educational institutions.”

He further said: “The Department of Basic Education (DBE) must be vigilant in its oversight of private institutions, ensuring they comply with national education policies and uphold the highest standards of safety and care. We must reinforce our commitment to monitoring these schools effectively, as they are entrusted with the well-being and education of our youth. The South African Schools Act provides a framework for this oversight, but we must ensure it is implemented rigorously.”

But what does it mean when even these so-called sanctuaries fail? For Cwecwe, her classroom became a site of terror. According to the committee briefing, three individuals at the school were requested to undergo DNA testing, yet the principal refused to comply.

When the provincial department attempted to revoke the school’s registration over its handling of the case, the decision was overturned due to procedural conflicts under the South African Schools Act.

Chief executive of the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund (NMCF), Linda Ncube-Nkomo, captured the nation’s despair in her statement: “We are witnessing a devastating reality where predators infiltrate the very spaces where children should feel safest. When a child is assaulted at school, the very institution entrusted with their care and development, we must acknowledge that our society is failing its most sacred duty: protecting our children.”

As protests ripple through the country, students at the University of South Africa (Unisa) marched this week to demand action against gender-based violence (GBV). Triggered by Cwecwe’s case, their demonstration underscored the urgency of the crisis. “The recent case of little Cwecwe is a reminder that we must all do more to end violence against women and children in our society,” said acting principal and vice-chancellor Professor Solomon Magano when addressing the marchers.

Yet, amid the public outcry, there remains a haunting question: Will justice come soon enough? As of now, the alleged perpetrator walks free while Cwecwe’s family fights tirelessly for accountability. Her mother’s pursuit of justice continues, even as the system falters.

The St Theresa’s students put it poignantly: “Justice must be served, and it must be swift. But justice alone is not enough — we must fight for a world where no child ever has to endure this pain again.”

Their plea resonates deeply with the NMCF’s call for systemic reform. “We cannot be a nation that fails its children. We hear the outcry, but we need action. Those who prey on children see them as objects, not as human beings. They must be removed from our communities and sentenced to the fullest extent of the law. Justice delayed is justice denied,” Ncube-Nkomo emphasised.

Adding another layer of complexity to the case, racial tensions have surfaced. During a December 11 stakeholder engagement meeting involving DBE officials and Cwecwe’s parents, the principal and board members were conspicuously absent. Some at the school accused the principal of racism, pointing out that the governing body consisted solely of white members despite all learners being black. This revelation sparked broader discussions about representation and equity in independent schools.

“The implications of inadequate and delayed responses extend far beyond this case,” Louw warned. “They can lead to a broader perception that our education and legal systems cannot provide the necessary protections for learners. This perception can erode trust in public institutions and independent schools, which are meant to be sanctuaries of learning and development.”

To address these concerns, the provincial department plans to conduct a blitz operation focused on independent schools once the academic year resumes. This initiative aims to identify and rectify any irregularities that might jeopardise student safety.

Meanwhile, the Portfolio Committee stressed the importance of inter-departmental collaboration to tackle both the criminal aspects of this case and the emotional and psychological needs of Cwecwe and her family.

“Furthermore, we must advocate for stringent measures to prevent such incidents in the future. This includes mandatory staff vetting processes to protect our children from potential offenders and establishing clear school safety protocols. The urgency of these measures cannot be overstated,” the acting chairperson said.

Despite these pledges, scepticism lingers among activists and victims’ advocates. The NMCF has vowed to monitor Cwecwe’s case closely, ensuring her family receives the support they deserve. Similarly, organisations and grassroots movements led by courageous students continue to push for meaningful change.

Today, as the sun sets on another day marred by grief, South Africans stand united in their resolve: No child should live in fear. Yet, without immediate legislative reforms, stronger enforcement mechanisms, and a collective cultural shift toward respect and consent, how long will it take before another child suffers like Cwecwe?

Her name may fade from headlines, but her story must never fade from memory. Let us honour her by ensuring that every child grows up knowing they are safe, valued, and protected. For if we fail them, we fail ourselves.